Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Best Part of the Adventure.


I love the outdoors. I love hiking. I love going down a river. I love climbing. I love rolling up and down a good single track on my bike. Am I an expert at any of these? Absolutely not. Do I own the best gear? No (Heck, in many cases I don't own any gear). But, my lack of expertise and/or top gear will never keep me from going on an adventure. What brings me back to do another adventure? The experience, the people and the memories - my family.

My parents were not what I consider outdoor enthusiasts when I was growing up, but they succeeded in planting a seed that continues to grow. In fact, I can only really remember one "outdoor" trip as a family to hike to the top of Mt. Leconte in Tennessee. It was with a group of the families in our neighborhood that had kids and we all hiked up and spent the night in the cabins at the top before hiking back down the next day. That was all it took to firmly plant the seed.

Earlier this year, I had a discussion with some of my friends about how disappointed I was in the amount of time that is devoted to computers, cell phones and tablets today. Of course, we all talked about how much we played outside as kids and that our current neighborhoods looked like ghost towns because all of the kids are always inside. I told them about how much my kids had enjoyed hiking with my wife and I (and how much we enjoyed them being with us). A couple of my friends mentioned they would enjoy going with us sometime.


Thus began the High Point Adventure Society. Our first trip had 5 adults and 5 kids. In 4 short months, we have grown. We had 12 adults and 9 kids (ages 2 mos. through 40+) at our last adventure. The foundation of our club is getting outside with our kids and families and being active while creating memories. It is hard to find something as rewarding as a walk in the woods with your family. Talking without distractions, watching them interact with the other kids, and learning what peaks their interest in nature will stay with me forever.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like to push my limits and head out for the multi-day adventures that may be a little advanced for the kids (ages 3 and 4), but my greatest thrill is invoking my passion for the outdoors into my children and experiencing the adventure with them. I will never tire of hearing "Dad, where are we going hiking this weekend?"



No comments:

Post a Comment